My blog

Prayer fascinates me. It’s a rich experience. It’s a privilege. I am constantly learning, and wanting to learn more. Here I will share something of my journey with you.

From scripture, from the life of Jesus, and from the saints throughout history, we know that prayer is the foundation for the Christian life and for seeing God’s purposes fulfilled. But we can easily become lethargic with regard to prayer. Or we can develop a sense of self-confidence that says, ‘We can do this on our own’. But reaching the unreached with the Gospel, is a battle, and it is only possible with God’s help, relying on his Spirit to work through us and amongst us. We must pour time, energy and resources into the work of prayer.

Friday 31 July 2015

Holding the rope for my daughter




En route to Uganda
I’ve just been tracking my daughter’s flight.  She’s heading to Uganda with others from her church youth group.  It should be an amazing trip for them all, as they visit various projects supported by the church.

We’ve been through all the preparations – jabs, buying insect replant and a mosquito net, getting suitable clothing.  And now they’re off, to see what God’s doing in that part of the world.  They will see situations very different from what they are used to.  They will learn so much.  They will see poverty - but perhaps be made aware of their own poverty.

Never let go
How do I feel as my daughter flies off?  OK.  I’m reminded of something that William Carey said when he was preparing to go to India.  His leaders said that his mission to India was like a man going into a deep, dark mine.  William Carey responded, “Well, I will go down, if you will hold the rope.” 

William Carey’s supporters knew that they should never let go of the rope – the rope of prayer.  William Carey went to India; they prayed.  My daughter is flying to Uganda; I pray. 

I thank God for the privilege of prayer.  Is there anything more precious than being able to pray for someone else, to be able to hold them before God and seek His best in their life?

Who are you holding the rope for?

No comments:

Post a Comment